Meet Ruby

This is our sweet patient Ruby who was in hospital last week with Haemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). HGE is a potentially life-threatening intestinal condition of dogs that starts as sudden onset vomiting and diarrhoea that contains blood. It causes severe dehydration from losses of fluid into the gastrointestinal tract and needs treatment as soon as possible.

We had Ruby in hospital after she was treated at the after hours clinic and as she has had pancreatitis before, a few bits of cheese and some dips and chips unfortunately set this off for her. Human food to dogs and cats is a lot different to how it is for us. For example one piece of cheese can equal a burger!

So always been wary if you are feeding your pets table scraps.

Share